Marquette Warrior: Politically Correct Intolerance in Schools of Social Work

Thursday, April 09, 2015

Politically Correct Intolerance in Schools of Social Work

From National Review, an account of narrow, bigoted liberal intolerance in schools of Social Work:
“I can’t have you participate in class anymore.”

I was on my way out of class when my social welfare and policy professor casually called me over to tell me this. The friendliness of her tone did not match her words, and I attempted a shocked, confused apology. It was my first semester at the Hunter College School of Social Work, and I was as yet unfamiliar with the consistent, underlying threat that characterized much of the school’s policy and atmosphere. This professor was simply more open and direct than most.

I asked if I had said or done anything inappropriate or disrespectful, and she was quick to assure me that it was not my behavior that was the problem. No: It was my opinions. Or, as she put it, “I have to give over this information as is.”

I spent the rest of that semester mostly quiet, frustrated, and missing my undergraduate days, when my professors encouraged intellectual diversity and give-and-take. I attempted to take my case to a higher-up at school, an extremely nice, fair professor who insisted that it was in my own best interest not to rock the boat. I was doing well in his class, and I believed him when he told me he wanted me to continue doing well. He explained to me that people who were viewed as too conservative had had problems graduating in the past, and he didn’t want that to happen to me. I thought he was joking .  .  . until I realized he wasn’t.
Read the entire account here.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Kirby Olson said...

I think his experience is true in almost every sphere of the humanities and social sciences at every one of the public universities and at almost all of the private universities. Some departments are holdouts - such as French. French is therefore being gutted at many universities.

6:15 AM  
Blogger James Pawlak said...

I left UW-Milwaukee's School Of Social Welfare as they insisted that students have a religious level faith in their teachings, without regard to science.

4:53 PM  
Blogger KeynesianPacker said...

You're right, Kirby. French departments are being cut due to a leftist conspiracy and not because they are increasingly irrelevant. McAdams would've made a similar comment if what you said was equally foolish and from the left.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Kirby Olson said...

KeynesianPacker - we need to study Asian American literature instead of Moliere, Rabelais, and Andre Breton. We need to read Amy Tan, instead.

7:19 AM  
Blogger KeynesianPacker said...

Dr. McAdams,
While disputing the idea of anthropogenic climate change, you told my class that in the 1970s scientists were warning about global cooling. Can you please link to an article that suggests a majority scientists were worried about global cooling?

8:18 AM  
Blogger John McAdams said...

"A majority" is one thing. But a lot of scientists where, and the media were all bonkers on the issue.

Description of hysteria

1:54 PM  
Blogger Kirby Olson said...

The sky is falling!

6:00 PM  
Blogger KeynesianPacker said...

Still waiting for your source. You told my class it was a majority. I remember because I have a great memory and I challenged you on the subject and you adamantly held the line.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home